Subject: [Leica] Why a digital M
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Jul 14 09:08:22 2004

B. D. Colen said:
>>And digital has its own "grain;" except it's called "noise." <<

Hi B.D.,
I happened to use "digital grain" the other day with an amateur photog who
had only shot digital and never film.

He was appalled that I'd used "grain" refering to digital prints. "It isn't
grain, it's noise for heaven sakes, you really are a digital rookie aren't
you!"

Of course I did help him up off the floor, then held digital cameras to both
his ears and tripped the shutters! :-)  Then asked "Did you hear the noise?"

Then I explained this absloutely stupid wording "noise" created by
computer - digital gooks, OK geeks, when in reality if they used the right
word... grain in the first place, then many of us would've understood what
the hell they were talking about.

As far as I'm concerned it's nothing more than the "grain of digital" look
like Tri-x or other types of film.

Hell the first time I read about "noise" my immediate re-action was to think
the digital camera had a distinct "sound noise" compared to a Leica. Oh well
then I discovered I was a rookie! ;-)
ted

" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>