Subject: [Leica] sorta OT: buying external scsi harddrive online
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sun May 16 14:44:32 2004

> [I would avoid SCSI and go with Firewire or USB 2.0. I doubt SCSI offers significant advantages over the newer technologies, (maybe someone more knowledgeable will correct me)].

I have bought (admittedly for my job) about 400,000 hard disks in the last few years. All IDE. Can't beat the price/performance.

If you have a computer that has an external SCSI connector, then an external SCSI disk makes a great deal of sense. There is basically no such thing as external IDE. I cannot imagine a computer that is both old enough to have an external SCSI connector and new enough to have a FireWire connector.

USB is too slow.

Where it's at these days is Serial ATA; nobody will ever design with SCSI again.

I'm probably about ready to unload a few SCSI disks real cheap. What size do you have in mind?

Replies: Reply from mail at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth) ([Leica] sorta OT: buying external scsi harddrive online)
Message from bcaldwell51 at earthlink.net (Bryan Caldwell) ([Leica] sorta OT: buying external scsi harddrive online)
Message from banacloj at mac.com (Juan Gea-Banacloche) ([Leica] sorta OT: buying external scsi harddrive online)