Subject: [Leica] Scanning Software
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Thu May 13 17:50:15 2004

At 05:04 PM 5/13/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>I have both VueScan and the Nikon software for my 4000 which I imagine is
>about
>the same as the Nikon software for the Coolscan V ED.
>
>I happen to mostly like the Nikon software. It seems to work really well
>for me.
>
>I don't Grok the VueScan software workflow. It's as poorly documented as any
>piece of software I've run into.
>
>I've tried Silverfast software in a version for a flatbed scanner I have
>and I'm
>not in love with it either. Some friends who own it for high-end scanners seem
>to have a love-hate relationship with it that smetimes includes the need for
>psychotherapy. Good German human factors at work - sorta the iDrive of the
>scanner world.
>
>Adam

I agree with Adam.  Nikon does everything I want it to.  Silverfast is
grossly overpriced for what it does.  Vuescan is not intuitive at all and
comes with no hints on how to make it work.  I find Nikon's latest software
to be great - all you are doing is scanning.  It's much better to do any
adjusting in PhotoShop anyway.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com