Subject: [Leica] Scanning Software
From: abridge at dcn.org (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu May 13 17:04:45 2004

On Friday, May 14, 2004 Douglas M. Sharp thoughtfully wrote:

>I'm picking up my new scanners on Saturday, (Coolscan V ED for 35mm and
>a Canon 9900F for the office)
>Is the scan software from Canon and Nikon OK ? or should I go for
>something like Silverfast or Vuescan ?
>I would appreciate any feedback on these, or whatever other options
>anyone might suggest.

Oh boy - time for a religious discussion!

I have both VueScan and the Nikon software for my 4000 which I imagine is about
the same as the Nikon software for the Coolscan V ED.

I happen to mostly like the Nikon software. It seems to work really well for me.

I don't Grok the VueScan software workflow. It's as poorly documented as any
piece of software I've run into.

I've tried Silverfast software in a version for a flatbed scanner I have and I'm
not in love with it either. Some friends who own it for high-end scanners seem
to have a love-hate relationship with it that smetimes includes the need for
psychotherapy. Good German human factors at work - sorta the iDrive of the
scanner world.

Adam

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Scanning Software)