Subject: Re: [Leica] DR Summicron MTF (was: For your information)
From: "A. Lal" <alal@duke.poly.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 02:17:54 -0500

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Seth Rosner" <sethrosner@direcway.com>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 13:53

> To amplify what I wrote a little while ago:
>
> > Also remember that "sharpness" is not a objective, quantifiable value as
> are
> > contrast and resolution.
>
> Contrast is objective and scientifically quantifiable. As to resolution, one
> has to qualify. Unlike contrast, the resolution of a lens does not establish
> itself scientifically and mechanically and then transfer to a computer for
> print-out. Whether a resolution value is obtained by photographing a wall
> chart of smaller and smaller lines or by peering through the ocular of the
> EROS machine at smaller and smaller lines projected through the lens (which
> is what we did at Optikos), the determined value depends upon what the
> observing human eye sees - or thinks it sees - when looking through a loupe
> at the negative or at the projected image through the EROS ocular. What one
> sees is to a certain extent subjective because the acuity of the human eye
> differs from one human to the next. And subjectively, if one wants to think
> that one can see line separation at a particular set of line fineness that
> equals 250 lp/mm, perhaps one's brain will say: yes I see the separate
> lines. Erwin has pointed this out. I did not see it so clearly until this
> experience looking through the ocular at Optikos. Which is why, when we were
> determining resolution, Roy Youman and I each wrote down our observations at
> each f/stop before we knew what the other had "seen." And we then took the
> lower resolution value.

In this case the resolution recorded was subjective because the eye was being used as a detector.

In principle, one need not restrict MTF measurements to 40LPPM max. If data is taken at higher lppm across the field, the resolution can be defined at a specified MTF value, say 5%. This turns it into an objective measurement, but as you can imagine it will be even more labour intensive.

> Who has time for this stuff anyway?

Not sure how to respond to this one. I assume, since you organised the tests and reported them here, that you do.

Good stuff. I look forward to your article. Do print the curves for all lenses.

Regards,
Akhil

Message from Jan or Lee <lhermann@wavecom.net> (Re: [Leica] For your information...)
Message from "A. Lal" <alal@duke.poly.edu> ([Leica] DR Summicron MTF (was: For your information))