Subject: Re: [Leica] DR Summicron MTF (was: For your information)
From: "A. Lal" <alal@duke.poly.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 06:07:40 -0500

Thanks for the very informative reply Seth.

The reason I asked about chromatic abberations is because I have several DR's S/Ns ranging from 1,7xx,xxx to 2,2xx,xxx and also examples of the later 50mm Summicrons; not one of the DR's gives me the "snap" of the later lenses, yet your data seems to indicate comparable MTFs. I am trying to figure out why.

FWIW, the lenses range from truly Exc to " boxed, as new" and show no signs of mechanical abuse or misalignment.

One further question, if I may. What did Optikos charge you for the tests and what was the lead time ?

By the way, many years ago an LHSA member based in Las Vegas, whose name I no longer remember,  told me that he had attended a Photokina  where an optical house, Novoflex IIRC,  had an MTF tester set up and were testing lenses for the public. He had his filters tested and his Tiffens did very well. This was in the late '80's early '90's. I bought a 400/5.6 Telyt from him. Wonder if he is on thsi list?

Regards,
Akhil