Subject: Re: [Leica] DR Summicron MTF (was: For your information)
From: Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 10:31:39 -0500

To Akhil and Lee:

Yes, Lee, when I find the time there will be a VIEWFINDER piece about the
tests; also of the pre-ASPH and the first 8-glass 35/2 Summicron and the
35/2,8 Summaron.

Since this is the Leica USERS Group, let me agree up front with Ted, B.D.
and a myriad other LUG friends who have consistently said: "use your
equipment to take photographs. If your lens produces what you want, you
should be happy."

As many of you know, that thought process is exactly what led me, a good
number of years ago, back to the DR/Rigid Summicron as my main user 50,
after having used the successor 50/2 Summicron (11817) and, briefly, the
current 50/2 (11819 et seq). Most of my photography is at f/4, 5,6 and 8.
When I need speed, I use the 50/1,4 Summilux. And at those intermediate
apertures, in my opinion the DR/Rigid produces images that most please me.
Not only in b+w but especially on Kodachrome, my most used color film.

Precisely because I don't typically need the speed, like our dear friend
Steve Lehuray, for me the old 35/2,8 Summaron produces marvelous images
approximating the image-making of the DR. That actually was my primary
motivation in setting up these tests: comparing the Summaron with the
8-element and the pre-ASPH 35/2 Summicrons. Then I said to myself, having
driven all the way to Cambridge, while there, if they will let me, why not
test the DR/Rigid 50 with Alpa's legendary 50/1,9 Macro-Switar. So we did.

Akhil asked:

> What light source did you use and did you check for chromatic abberartions
and light fall off?

How the EROS test equipment works is far beyond this non-techie. But I do
know that we tested with a visible white light source. We did not test with
color filters so no test for chromatic aberrations. The machine uses a light
slit aimed at the lens. It was collimated only for infinity.

This is a fairly lengthy process, setting up each lens, focusing, then
testing (inputting to the computer) at each aperture from initial to f/8 (we
didn't stop down further since on these lenses diffraction begins seriously
to affect optical performance after f/8) and then testing on-axis, at 12mm
off-axis (the near edge) and at 18mm off-axis (the far edge). And remember,
we were testing five lenses. I couldn't ask Roy Youman, the fellow at
Optikos who did the testing, to spend any more time than the several hours
we already did.

> Were you able to test a current Summicron M or R at the same time?

No.

Seth            LaK 9

Replies: Reply from "A. Lal" <alal@duke.poly.edu> (Re: [Leica] DR Summicron MTF (was: For your information))
Message from Jan or Lee <lhermann@wavecom.net> (Re: [Leica] For your information...)