Subject: Re: [Leica] DR Summicron MTF (was: For your information)
From: Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 13:53:39 -0500

To amplify what I wrote a little while ago:

> Also remember that "sharpness" is not a objective, quantifiable value as
are
> contrast and resolution.

Contrast is objective and scientifically quantifiable. As to resolution, one
has to qualify. Unlike contrast, the resolution of a lens does not establish
itself scientifically and mechanically and then transfer to a computer for
print-out. Whether a resolution value is obtained by photographing a wall
chart of smaller and smaller lines or by peering through the ocular of the
EROS machine at smaller and smaller lines projected through the lens (which
is what we did at Optikos), the determined value depends upon what the
observing human eye sees - or thinks it sees - when looking through a loupe
at the negative or at the projected image through the EROS ocular. What one
sees is to a certain extent subjective because the acuity of the human eye
differs from one human to the next. And subjectively, if one wants to think
that one can see line separation at a particular set of line fineness that
equals 250 lp/mm, perhaps one's brain will say: yes I see the separate
lines. Erwin has pointed this out. I did not see it so clearly until this
experience looking through the ocular at Optikos. Which is why, when we were
determining resolution, Roy Youman and I each wrote down our observations at
each f/stop before we knew what the other had "seen." And we then took the
lower resolution value.

Who has time for this stuff anyway?

Seth           LaK 9

Replies: Reply from "A. Lal" <alal@duke.poly.edu> (Re: [Leica] DR Summicron MTF (was: For your information))