Subject: [Leica] Security In Public Places
From: "Leonard J Kapner" <ljkapner@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:40:48 -0800

Dear Friends,

To provide further explanation regarding the state of security awareness in
the United States since the 9/11 attack, let me briefly relate an incident
that happened to me a month or so ago while making photographs in a boat
repair yard.

For some time now, I have been working on a series of images about barriers,
man-made impediments to access of what should ordinarily be public places.
This particular morning, I was photographing the San Pedro Boat Works in the
Los Angeles harbor. Armed with my SCALA-loaded M6TTL and a 35mm Summicron
pre-ASPH, I was photographing civilian boats in various stages of repair
through a chain link fence, when the Harbor Police cruised up and began to
question me.

Without being asked, I immediately explained what I was doing and why,
volunteered proper identification and produced a business card, stating that
I was a fine art photographer. The police officers questioned me as to where
I lived, how long I had lived there, what was my occupation and where was my
vehicle parked. I answered all their questions fully and politely.

At the conclusion of their process, the officers explained that while
photography was not prohibited in the harbor area, it was discouraged, as
there were "sensitive" facilities inside the area that the authorities
considered potential terrorist targets. I responded that I understood
completely and that if they wished me to stop doing what I was doing, I
would comply without protest. The senior officer told me to go ahead and
complete my work, but confine my photography to the boatyard. He also
suggested that if I wished to do more than my intention in the future, to
check in with the watch commander at the local station, so that my
activities would be a matter of record and so that I would not be
interdicted.

This "incident" was a non-confrontational, congenial dialogue about a
commonly-shared problem, and was resolved in a pleasant, respectful manner.
If I had become argumentative or defensive, I suspect the situation might
have turned out differently.

I think those of us who are compelled to work in society documenting how we
live, either through choice or necessity, would do well to remember that
those behind the badge often have a very difficult job to do, one that
requires courage, sensitivity and understanding, sometimes in the face of
great personal danger. Showing a modicum of respect and willingness to
comply often goes a long way to diffusing a potentially inflammatory
situation, not to mention that one can sometimes continue to do what he's
there to do!

Oh, by the way, the Summicron images from the boat yard are excellent!

Happy Holidays to all!

Len
Leonard J Kapner
E-Mail: ljkapner@cox.net
Tel: (310) 377-5060 / Mobile: (310) 291-0140

Replies: Reply from Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no> (Re: [Leica] Security In Public Places)
Reply from eric@jphotog.com (Re: [Leica] Security In Public Places)
Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: Security In Public Places)
Reply from "Mark Pope" <leica.user@ntlworld.com> (Re: [Leica] Security In Public Places)