Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Lunasix 3 issue, reply to Rabiner
From: "Steven Blutter" <steven2244@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 07:01:51 -0600

Mark,
I have a love / hate relationship with grain.  (and my own work for that
matter)

Its been a while since I've been able to work much - having spent the last
many years building my business to an acceptable equlibrium (not
photography).  As a pro I'd been 95% 4 X 5 architectural but gave it up as a
profession to focus on our long term fiscal health.

The last 2 art series I want to revisit / evolve from were literally day and
night.

The day was Tech Pan @ 25 - and was like this (very low res):
http://www.sblutter.com/La_Paz_Tripych_-_Steven_Blutter.html

I'm going to try Formulary's TD-3 and rate at 50 - or go back to Kodak's kit
which was fine but slow @ 25 ASA.

This series is about textures - abstracts.  Inspired by some of Weston's
later stuff, Meatyard, abstract expressionism, Minor White and poetry.
These are shot mostly w/ Summi 50 collapsable and use the Sooky-M quite a
bit (90 & 135 if necc also)- mostly in bright daylight and use filters where
appropriate, pola, yellow, orange, green etc.
These will start 16 X 20 (my max here) but will go much larger if there's
interest.
- --
The night series was originally dev'd with some blue developer out of CA
that i can't find or recall (came in silver packets) - but it was Tri-X @
32 - 6400 and was very grainy but pretty.  They were fairly easy to print
but the highlights blew out a bit.  I haven't scanned any of the negs yet.
These were slightly blurry portraits under sodium vapor street lights - in
noir / interesting locations on Chicago winter nights (gets dark so early).
As I recall the dev temp was 92!

The experiements are going to start w/ Tri-X, but will try all appropriate
films and am open to suggestions.  Am trying Rodinal and Dektol for now.
The grain I want is obvious but soft - (want that good Bokeh!) - want them
to be atmospheric, textured and emotionally evocotive - to be printed 16 X
20.  I didn't like T-Max and beating the hell out of Tri-X always amuses
me - a heck of a film.

For testing, I'm shooting in the right light, at the f; and speed I want (f:
2.8 > 5.6 @ 1/8 > 1/30) and am doing snip tests in trays in the D.R.,
looking for easiest to print full range negs. on fiber P.C. paper.  Whole
rolls of a static scene that has the range scale I'll be using - one setting
at a time and noting times.  Glad I kept my bulk loader!

Once the tech is out of the way I'll be able to shoot freely - without
worrying about settings.  Its more important for to get the right expression
from the 'model'.  Will be using the Summitar - very pretty @ 2.8 & 4.0.
(body doesn't matter.)

'Urban angels' is the theme

Any suggestions are welcome and thank you very much for your interest.
My hope is that picking up where I left my artwork off will further energize
my efforts now that I can manage the time better.
And have fun!!