Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Lunasix 3 issue
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:30:18 -0600

Steven

If it is not a defect in the meter, and from what you say it is not, then I
would re-hash your decision and purchase a meter which meets your
requirements fully for low and normal light conditions and purchase an
appropriate meter.  Otherwise you need to send it back to the manufacturer
since it is new and let them fix the problem.  Just my ignorant opinion.

Gene

                      "Steven Blutter"
                      <steven2244@ameritech.net>          To:       <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  [Leica] OT: Lunasix 3 issue
                      -alto.ca.us

                      12/15/2003 05:38 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

Arg!

I decided to upgrade my trusty old Lunasix [c. 1975?] rather than put more
money into it and bought a used Lunasix 3 from Adorama.  I figured I can
return it there easier than to an Ebayer. $89 + shipping.

I also got the replacement battery kit with SR44's - battery check is right
on the money - on the high side of the red bar.

I've always found the Lunas to be dead on in extreremly low (night) light,
like EV 5 (6400 ASA, 1/15 @) f:2.0) but has anyone had the fol. problem or
should I have it serviced - and by who if necc?

Problem:  I've noticed that when the light level is at the boarderline
between the high and low ranges the meter has no concensus within itself.
(The old one had the same problem though not as pronounced)

Right now I'm fiddling with it and on the low range the needle goes up
beyond 12 in this particular illumination.  But, taking the exact same
reading in the high range, the needle drops below 12.  Thus no consensus.
No accurate reading is possible.

This is bothersome because I am looking at a very typical indoor light
level
(equiv. of 400 ASA, 1/60th @ f:2.8).

A work around is to use the Sekonic digital for these dim indoor situations
and reserve the Lunasix for very low only.

I'm travelling soon and only want to take one meter - the Sekonic 308
doesn't read very low and the 508 is too much meter for a Mexican beach.
(and I wouldn't trust the MR-4 for very low)

I'll hang up and listen for my answer - thanks in advance.

Steven Blutter

Replies: Reply from "Steven Blutter" <steven2244@ameritech.net> (Re: [Leica] OT: Lunasix 3 issue)