Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 50: Waiting for Sinterklaas
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:11:33 -0600

Jerry

I'm afraid I do not know either, this is just what our German daughter and
the other 5 German students at her school have told us.  I was just
responding to Michiel in my post to let him know it is also practiced in
Germany.

Gene

                      Jerry Lehrer
                      <jerryleh@pacbell.net>              To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 50: Waiting for Sinterklaas
                      -alto.ca.us

                      12/15/2003 04:23 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

Gene

Frankly, I did not know about the festivities concurrent with the 5th
of  December.

Jerry

grduprey@rockwellcollins.com wrote:

> Michiel
>
> This is also a German tradition.  Our German Exchange daughter this year
> told us about it when we asked her why she was putting one of her shoes
> outside her bedroom door on the 5th.  She was happy to see that St.
> Nicholas was able to find her the next morning.  ;-)
>
> Gene
>

>                       Michiel Fokkema
>                       <michiel.fokkema@wanadoo.nl>        To:
leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>                       Sent by:                            cc:
>                       owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  Re:
[Leica] Nathan's PAW 50: Waiting for Sinterklaas
>                       -alto.ca.us
>

>                       12/15/2003 01:01 PM
>                       Please respond to
>                       leica-users
>

> Actually Sinterklaas is a saint. It is supposed to be saint Nicholas who
> was a great friend of children. The Dutch word 'sint' means saint.
> Sinterklaas comes to Holland around the middle of November by boat from
> Spain. Children are then aloud to set there shoe, they have to sing some
> Sinterklaas songs. In the morning there is a small present in the shoe.
> Sinterklaas is accompianed by a white horse and Zwarte Piet and travels
> over the roofs of the houses. He knows everything about the behavior of
> all the children. On the 5th of December he brings presents to all the
> children who behaved the last year. The children that didn't behave will
> be put into a sack and taken back to Spain.
> As far as I know this very old custom is restricted to Holland and the
> North of Belgium. Unfortunate this custom is under severe attack of
> santa claus.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Michiel Fokkema
>
> Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> > I don't know if it is meant to have anything to do with the Pope, given
> > the strong Protestant traditions in the Netherlands. When we lived in
> > Flanders, Sinterklaas also looked like this and also had Zwarte Piet
> > with him.
> >
> > Nathan
> >
> > RUBEN BLĘDEL wrote:
> >
> >>Why is Santa wearing the Popes hat?