Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Lunasix 3 issue
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:04:27 -0800

Steven Blutter wrote:

> well said - not at all ignorant.
> 'right tool for the job'
>
> problem is, I'm working on several series' at once.  right now one is tech
> pan @ 25 - 50 ASA, the other is pushing tri-x to 3200 - 6400 in hot
> developer (haven't settled on one yet).  subjects are equally varied.  I
> like having one day and one night project so I can work at any time the muse
> strikes (and time allows!)
>
> a meter for each project?  i guess my bag just got a little heavier

Saying you're rating your Tri x at 3200-6400 is like saying you're
underexposing 3 or 4 stops!!!! and you're developing is making up for
this somehow....???
This I'd love to see and of course flies in the face of the basic rule
of the way photography works which is you've exposed for the shadows and
developed for the highlights. By this I mean if you have a true push
you're getting sufficient shadow detail as well. It's the shadows in
which we gage our film speed.
Is there a reason you'd not give the faster films a shot? Tmax p3200,
Neopan 1600 or Delta 3200? Why not push Plus X to 400 it makes as much sense!

Of course I've heard all kind of claims about pushing Tri x over the
decades but never saw one past a stop that was not a ridiculously
contrasty under exposed highly grainy print.
Please post a picture with shadow detail in it with Tri x at 6400 or
3200 for that matter and I'd like to know what the
formula-dilution-temperature is. I'll try it myself. Not wishing to be
too negative or insulting but when I see it I'll eat it. Or visa versa.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com> (Re: [Leica] OT: Lunasix 3 issue)