Subject: [Leica] Re: Digitlux 2 sensor size
From: "David M. Dorn" <dmdorn_ct_usa@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:38:43 -0500

Howard wrote:

>> The Leica website describes the Digilux 2 sensor as a "2/3-inch CCD"
> ...So--what are the dimensions of the Digilux 2's sensor, and what
> does the
> 2/3" refer to?
>>
>> --howard

the term 2/3-inch CCD refers to one of the standard video/TV camera
sensor sizes.  It is the chip sized used by many if not most of the
portable broadcast size cameras.

One definition I found on the internet follows....

"A 2/3-inch CCD such as those found in many professional video cameras
has an image area with an 11 mm diagonal. For conventional 4:3 format
television, this works out to a picture 8.8 by 6.6 mm.

(You'll note that none of these dimensions is very close to 2/3 inch.
In fact, pretty much nothing about a 2/3-inch CCD is 2/3 of an inch; a
2/3-inch CCD is simply one that has the same imaging area as a 2/3-inch
television camera tube. For what it's worth, those dimensions happen
are very close to those of 16 mm movie film.)"

A little short of a full frame 35mm I would day!

David

Replies: Reply from "Jem Kime" <jem.kime@ntlworld.com> ([Leica] Focomat 1C autofocus set-up experience)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Digitlux 2 sensor size)