Subject: Re: [Leica] OT- War Photography
From: "Jack Herron" <jackherron@cox.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 13:18:19 -0700

Gentlemen,
    The armor-piercing ability of DU tipped weapons is due to the pyrophoric
properties of the uranium.  On impact the kinetic energy of the bullet
ignites the uranium, which then forms a stilleto of burning uranium and
steel which burns its way through the armor.  On penetration, this metallic
blowtorch fills the tank with instant fire, then typically continues out
through the less heavily plated tank bottom.  Anything inflammable within
the tank instantly burns, adding to the heat and flames.  Not only is the
tank "holed", but any occupants are immediately removed from the field of
battle.
Jack C. Herron
8118 E. 20th St.
Tucson, AZ 85710