Subject: [Leica] WAS: ceremony conclusion... NOW: CASKET PORTRAIT! :-)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:59:35 -0700

This is absolutely as true a portrait request as I'm sitting here typing
it.:-)

In the early '60's I had two partners, one an excellent portrait
photographer. His booking for one portrait went like this.

Lady on phone, "I'd like to have a portrait of my mother could you come to
where she is?"

Bill Lingard, portrait photographer replies in his best Cockney accent: "
Yes I could do that tomorrow around 3."

Lady on phone: "Sorry that will be too late as the funeral is noon, could it
be done about 10?"

Bill says: "Yes I can change a couple of things and make it."

Next morning I'm the gopher on this one and we're in a Funeral home about to
photograph a body in a casket. Seems the woman requesting the portrait of
her mother never had a picture of her and thought she looked so peaceful and
beautiful lying there it was the last opportunity for a picture.

Bill up ladder so he can get high over the edge of the casket trying to make
a decent portrait with studio lights and me setting them as he directs from
10' in the air. This in itself was worth a picture.. no we didn't. :-(

However he's having a problem with shadows from the side of the casket cause
the old girl is low in the box. So down he came, found a pillow lifts up her
head and stuffs it in place. Perfect! Nice lighting looks great he gets to
top of ladder just as daughter walks in.

She, "Oh my she looks so beautiful. But her eyes are closed, is there
anything you could do to open them?"

I looked up at Bill and for a moment I thought he was going to fall off
ladder, camera and all. Nope, and as cool as a cumber he responded,
"Certainly madam we can and when you see the final picture they will be
open."

She, "Thank you."  and left.

"Bill, how the hell are you going to open her eyes?" says I. He smiled and,
"I'll fix them in re-touching!" This was long before Photoshop and done by
hand, he did miracles.

I had to go on assignment before the re-touching was completed and on return
inquired what the lady thought of the eyes?

Bill: "She thought they were a little starry eyed, but was happy."

True story, happened in Ottawa.

ted

Message from "Steven Blutter" <steven2244@ameritech.net> (Re: [Leica] ceremony conclusion...)