Subject: Re: [Leica] Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-)
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 09:22:32 -0400

At 11:12 AM 5/27/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Tina
>
>Sorry if this has been asked before but I have been away from the list for a
>good while.  Are you now using the Digilux for most shooting assignments, in
>replacement of your R camera?

Simon -

I'm now carrying the M7, the R6.2 (sometimes R8), and the Digilux for
assignments.  I'm using about half film and half digital.

>Have you already provided any feedback on the Digilux in terms of image
>quality, ease of use etc. (which I assume are high or you would not be
>trusting your professional work to the camera).  Of the links at the bottom
>of your message, which ones have Digilux digital images available to view?

The Digilux is giving me great photos.  All of the latest photos that I've
posted on the news sites are from the Digilux.  Unfortunately, you have to
subscribe and log-in to see them.  On the PDI site there is a demonstration
of the search feature that will come up with some.  Just search under
photographer and put in my name.  You can also see great photos from the
Digilux or Panasonic clone on SonC's site and Graham's beautiful photos
from England.  He just posted some here:
http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/irc2.html

Alamy requires that you interpolate digital files up to 48 MB.  It's
possible with Genuine Fractals, but it's really stretching to take the 10MB
files from the Digilux to 48MB.

>In these times of decision between further investment in film or making the
>move to digital, I would value your opinion, even more so in that I can get
>a good deal on a Digilux right now!

I think the Digilux is the best point and shoot digital that you can get
right now.  The shutter lag time is the shortest available, the LCD screen
is the largest available, the batteries last a long time and are easy to
recharge, the camera is well-made and sturdy, the lens is the fastest
available -
Leica intended to make a reportage point and shoot digital and they did.

The Digilux is a great way to get into digital without spending $7000.  If
you normally shoot a lot of film, the Digilux will pay for itself almost
immediately.

I'm looking at digital SLR's because I would love to have the ability to
use my Leica lenses on a digital SLR.  I know the digital can't take
advantage of the great Leica glass!!  but I already have the lenses, they
are fast, and I want to use them!

Hope this helps -

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP