Subject: RE: [Leica] Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-)
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 22:19:05 -0400

At 06:49 PM 5/25/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>That's true - in terms of supporting the user base. Of course the
>question is - how much of the user base, having invested in the glass
>and the bodies, can afford to pay such an extraordinarily high price for
>a digital add-on - to only the R8-R9s...don't forget, buy doing this,
>they will NOT be support the user base with all the earlier reflexes -
>YOU folks would have to pay, what $1600-2000 on TOP of the cost of the
>back? So you'd be paying almost $10K for a digital 35 mm camera that
>isn't full-frame, when you can get an amazingly good Canon 10D
>for...$1500? Is that really supporting the user base?

If it is true that this is really the Leica digital answer, I will be
switching to Canon for my SLR digital photography.  Probably the 1DS since
it is most sturdy model.  It's about the same price as the proposed refit
for the R8 with all the advantages of autofocus and lenses designed for
digital.  My purpose in using digital is economy, convenience, economy,
immediate results, economy, easy transport through airports, economy,
PowerPoint presentations, economy, CD storage vs slides, economy, and stock
sales.

I will still use my M's and B&W film for personal use, but cannot justify
sticking with Leica for digital if I've waited all this time for a $7,000,
10 MB,  1.3X back for the R8.  I guess I'll have to start looking for
Compact Flash cards instead of Secure Digital :-(

Leically?

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com