Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: OT - National Geographic film usage
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:36:37 -0700

Barney Quinn wrote:

> Eric,
>
> Can't resist this..... I can, as a cellist, answer one of these questions. Yo-Yo
> Ma hasn't worn out all that many violin strings. He probably has, however, worn
> out many, many cello striungs! :-) <Huge Grin>
>
> Barney
>
> Eric wrote:

How many Yo-yo stings!?

(not one to pass up a golden opportunity)

No i can say it because Yo-yo or  "Yo" as his inner circle call him is
my favorite living musician!
Me myself and I all three played Cello for 8 years and I'm kinda
thinking about getting one now again.

Coincidently Yo Yo's strings come up in a conversation at the Classical
Millennium record store here in my neighborhood a few weeks ago.
He did a recording of Baroque music. A hit, called "Simply Baroque" and II.
He had the traditional metal strings of the cello replaced with gut ones
(organic) to reproduce the Baroque sound and closer the Baroque way of
doing things. A big hit as classical stuff goes. Which means they sold
as much in the whole year as Snoop Doggy Dog does in ten minutes.  (woof)

We have a longtime LugNug Damian Dlugolecki <damian@damianstrings.com>
who makes such gut strings here in the Portland area or make that the outskirts.

There are Lots of instruments which require them now a days as no one
wants to hear 17th century music on 20th century instruments or strings
now as they make for a 20th century sound. Off by 3 centuries.     But
otherwise close.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com