Subject: Re: [Leica] fired for photoshopping
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 22:05:27 -0800

Austin Franklin wrote:

> Hi Tina,
>
> > In the
> > original two photos, the soldier is not pointing a weapon at the father
> > carrying the child.
>
> I'm kind of amazed that people see that in this photo, as I don't.  I see
> the soldier, armed, just holding his weapon at his side, and motioning with
> his left hand for them to get down.  I never once thought that he was
> pointing his weapon AT anyone, until some people mentioned it!
>
> Austin

Possibly this IS the point in this and many pictures. The relationships
between people are very subtle nebulous and the difference between
helping and threatening is just ing the eye of the beholder. But in fact
it is in reality either one or the  other. The person who is there
taking the picture might not really know whats going on until he/she
studies the slide. And THEY may be wrong and corrected later by a
particularly sharp and alert person.

So destroying the relationships between whats going in makes the picture
in effect meaningless.
The picture cant be studied for subtleties. It's a fabrication.
Study a Norman Rockwell image and figure out where in America that came
from.
I guess his only sin was he created an IDEAL that's darn hard to live up
to. Shucks!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com