Subject: Re: [Leica]Leicvit vs Canon Built-in Winder
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:53:32 -0500

> Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 20:14:21 -0800
> From: "SML" <leirex@access4less.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicavit vs Canon Built-in Winder
>
> Thank you for the info, Don.  It seems judging from your experience that the
> Canon with the built-in winder is definitely a bargain compared with the
> Leica SM body and winder combo.  Once I have a plethora of the LTM lenses
> (Leitz, Canon, Nikon and third-party), I had better start looking for a good
> working Canon like VI.  Is there anything that I need to be careful about in
> search of a Canon with built-in winder?

I've had some experience with the Canons, so to add to Don's caveats, I have a few things.  Don't be put off by wrinkled shutter curtains, as it is almost impossible to find a metal-shuttered Canon rangefinder without wrinkled curtains, and most work fine that way.  But do look out for dim rangefinder magnifying prisms, cloudy viewfinders, and return springs on the base wind that have lost their "oomph" and need a little help in springing back.

Mark