Subject: [Leica] RE: Flying with a Rapid Winder
From: Herb Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 20:05:07 -0800

I wonder how the Allen wrench could be used as a weapon.  Perhaps it
was a five-pound foot-long Allen wrench. :-)  And, the 0.5 mm
mechanical pencil that I've always carried on flights would be a far
better weapon than the tiny nail files that they confiscate.  In
fact, even my fountain pen (uncapped) would be a better weapon.

Herb

Excerpt from original message--------

Since I mentioned the Allen wrench, I just want to be clearer about one
thing. The new TSA people won't actually confiscate anything that it is
legal to walk around with. They will politely offer you the chance to go
back outside security and deal with it. They've even been helpful in
offering the location of the nearest mail drop. But unless this happens
to you hours before flight time, you have to weigh whether this is
realistic or not. In the case of the Allen wrench, I decided it wasn't
and left it with the TSA screener, who informed me that such things are
periodically melted down. I presume this is to reduce the incentive for
theft.

Rolfe

- --
Herbert Kanner