Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Flying with a Rapid Winder
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:44:22 -0500

Herb Kanner wrote:
> I wonder how the Allen wrench could be used as a weapon.  Perhaps it was
> a five-pound foot-long Allen wrench. :-)  And, the 0.5 mm mechanical
> pencil that I've always carried on flights would be a far better weapon
> than the tiny nail files that they confiscate.  In fact, even my
> fountain pen (uncapped) would be a better weapon.
>
> Herb

I have no idea what the criteria are. I will say that, in addition to
the 3 inch Allen wrench, a fountain pen in my camera bag did garner
quite a bit of attention the last time through security.  :-).
Ultimately, it passed.

Although I realize we're hopelessly off topic, I can't resist relating
my favorite recent airline security story from a flight attendant friend
who works for one of the major airlines.

It seems that when the food carts come on board, they are sealed by
little plastic things like cable-ties. My friend couldn't get one of
these unsealed and, unlike in days past, couldn't simply reach into her
purse for her pen knife. Also, unlike in days past, she couldn't ask one
of the flight crew for their Leatherman tool, since they aren't allowed
to carry those anymore either.

So, she appealed to the Captain. He said, stand aside, came out of the
cockpit with the crash axe, and promptly decimated the errant plastic
seal. :-)

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014