Subject: Re: [Leica] Service in NJ on USA warrented and bought equipment
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:14:38 -0500

Andrew Schroter wrote:
> When was the last time you bought a Grey market Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, etc.?
> Most Euro car mfrs have an overseas delivery program, but you make your
> purchase through the US dealer, not through Euro Grey market dealer

I'm not even sure that this is true, as I've had friends who have flown
to Europe, purchased a Mercedes, driven it around the Continent, and
then had it shipped back.  The all-inclusive cost was far less than
purchasing the Mercedes here in the U.S. I think whether this kind of
effort is attractive depends on the relationship of the Dollar/Mark, or
now, Dollar/Euro at any given time.

But I don't think it has any relevance at all to the current discussion
as it relates to the gray market in new Leica cameras and lenses which
clearly operates with at least the tacit approval of Leica Germany.

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014