Subject: Re: [Leica] Introduction and New Leica M7a
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 07:14:28 +0200

Ellis,

First, there are no problems with the M7. I have one of the earliest
ones (bought in April) and have experienced no loose film speed dials,
no lockups and whatever else has been floating around on the LUG and
elsewhere. As for the "problem" Bob Shell refers to, I assume that we
are talking about the fact that because of the tight fit with the DX
contacts, the film does not just fall out of the film chamber. This is
easily overcome with a slight tap of the bottom of the M7 against the
palm of your hand; yes, removing film is marginally more difficult than
with an M6, but really this should not stop anyone from buying the camera.

As for the mythical M7a or whatever, with "digital components" and what
not, do not hold your breath. There are always rumors floating around
about digital Ms to come, but all indications from Leica point to the
severe technical problems associated with converting the M to digital.
If Leica comes out with a digital rangefinder camera, it will certainly
be in cooperation with a major manufacturer and with a completely
different design.

Nathan