Subject: [Leica] Pictures of last weeks DC Lug
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:07:32 -0400

Thanks to Mitch for organizing last weeks meeting and photo shoot at the
Garber facility.  The first picture is primarily of Sal DiMarco but also
includes Steve and Mitch at breakfast.

The next image was taken while we were waiting for our docent to start the
tour.  Notice that Steve L. has a newly acquired LTM.  This is what his PAW
subjects see.

Next is a typical scene inside the facility.  If you are an aircraft
aficionado you will go nuts.  Literally everywhere you look there is some
piece of aviation history laying on the ground, hanging from the rafters, or
jammed willy-nilly all about.  The main plane in the picture is an
experimental Nazi bomber from late in the war.  Imagine an Allied heavy
bomber at 500mph with a very small radar signature.  Officials at the Air
and Space Museum don't consider the progenitor of the B2 to be noteworthy
enough to keep in one piece.  Now imagine hundreds of such firsts buried
away in a warehouse collecting dust.

On our way to lunch outside Union Station? I took some time to experiment
with the 15 Heliar.  I love being at contact distance really but with an
image that looks like there was some separation.

The last image in this series is our calm lunch.  I have to admit that the
DC crowd is not nearly so rowdy as other parts of the country.  No Leica
stacking, no Goths, just a small victory over the security staff at the
airport when Sal showed us the teeny pen knife he keeps in his bag.  The
Irish pub did do a good job with the Black and Tan.

When there is a notice on the LUG of a regional gathering I highly recommend
that you try to attend.  This was my second and it was quite enjoyable to
put faces with names and to enjoy each others conversation.

Thanks again to Mitch.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Replies: Reply from Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] Pictures of last weeks DC Lug)