Subject: Re: [Leica] re: dilema
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 11:07:20 -0800

Phil Marcus wrote:
>>> Most of the commercial work I shot involved using 35mm gear like a view
> camera - tripod mounted, carefully lit. Sometimes, I actually got to do a
> form or reportage. My guess is that unless things have changed much either
> of the SLR systems are way more than capable of handling your work pix.  I
> wonder what Eliot Erwitt did when he was shooting? Seems like he made a
> living as a commercial photographer and picked up a large library of
> personal pictures in the cracks.<<<<<<

Hi Phil,
All my commercial work was on 35, 99% hand held when the light allowed it.
And the bulk of the work was shot by available existing light and because I
shot in that fashion, I received a great number of assignments as my
photography always looked natural.

And I still work that way today and for major clients who are more impressed
with the pictures and not the size of the camera and attendant lighting
equipment.

Today with the quality of 35mm films, colour & B&W, practically anyone can
shoot everything on 35 without fear. Hand held or otherwise.

>>I wonder what Eliot Erwitt did when he was shooting? Seems like he made a
> living as a commercial photographer and picked up a large library of
> personal pictures in the cracks.<<<<<<

Well I suppose he worked very similar to myself and used the equipment that
made him most comfortable in capturing what he was paid to do.  It's just
like, "keep it simple stupid" and don't confuse the shoot with a bunch of
large and heavy duty gear. ;-).

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant