Subject: Re: [Leica] Briefcase (Point and Shoot)
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:17:53 -0800

Mark Pope wrote:

> Hello Don,
>
> I can't disagree with you, but I have tried getting my M in my briefcase.
> I must either a) have too small a case or b) carry way too much stuff in it.
> Anyway, things have gone walkabout from our office - mobile telephones,
> PDAs, that sort of thing.  One of the many downsides of working in a large
> open plan office.  I wouldn't want my M to go the same way.  I prefer to
> keep it with me all of the time.  I don't mind so much about losing the GR1
> this way, although I would still be pretty gutted.  A new M and 35 ASPH or
> 50 'cron would be a helluva lot to replace in one go, even with insurance
> cover.  Being a relatively new M user - I bought in March this year, I still
> haven't acquired the slighty more laissez faire attitude that seems to come
> with longer term ownership.  Yes, I know It's a tool and a damn fine one at
> that, but I still feel nervous about losing or damaging £2500 worth of gear
> in one hit.  I think it was Kyle that said that once you have dinged your
> camera it doesn't seem to matter after that - I haven't got there yet...
>
> All the best
>
> Mark

Mark P! if you check the archives I've said this to a few people.
It's my ongoing strong opinion...

Leica M's are a camera and way of shooting very unlike others. They take
a lot of getting used to.
To really appreciate what it can do for you you have to marry it.
You cant just visit it on weekends, put it up in an apartment and expect
it to put out for you.

One nice thing about people who put their websites in their salutary
thing on their Emails is you can cut through the rhetoric and find out
where they are really coming from by checking out their results.
You are getting some great shots ....
with your favorite system, the Bronica ETRSi for portraits and Landscape
Your Nikon with Tamron lens
All Architectural photos with a Bessa with "Bessa" glass
and last AND least, Leica with Leica glass!!!
I'd throw away your Nikonish - Bronicaish and Bessaish things. Put them
in storage for a year.

"When I was a Nikon, I spake as a Nikon, I understood as a Nikon, I
thought as a Nikon: but when I became a Leica, I put away Nikonish things."
Book of Rabs 13:11

Put your Leica around your neck and plan on wearing it for a year.
I promise you at the end of that year you'll have some great shots and a
slightly banged up camera.
You'll be amazed how much you can do with one simple system.

I pretty much did the same a few years back I'm back using my
Hasselblads again when the pleasure arrives, but my Nikons still are
sleeping. Hibernating.

I have certainly forsaketh zooms, that's for darn sure.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com> (Re: [Leica] Briefcase (Point and Shoot))