Subject: Re: [Leica] I commend to your attention
From: Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 18:38:23 -0500

On Wed, 05 Dec 2001 17:09:12 -0500, "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Sorry, Paul - Typical tourist snaps of friends and of "exotic" - by
>white, Western, developed world standards - people in colorful "native"
>clothing...I really don't understand why these are the kind of pics
>Leicas take best - I'd say they're the kind of snaps that Olympus Epics
>usually take...;-) The exposures are uneven. The lighting in uneven. In
>some of the shots it looks like he was a good half-a-block too far from
>the subject. I'm sure his family and neighbors enjoyed the slide show
>when he got home. Maybe. :-)
>
>B. D.
>Okay, I've had a rough day. But everything I said is true.;-)

Far be it from me to disagree with a Grand Old Man, but this time I'll make
an exception.  I think your dismissal of these pics is unwarranted.

To me they resonate with humanity,  They required the photographer to
approach total strangers in such a manner that they would let him into
their personal space - at least for as long as it took to take the photos.
There seems to me to be a directness of communication between the
photographer and his subjects that is one of the essential hallmarks of
humanistic photography (one of they types of work that Leica users are
known for).    He was obviously doing something/being someone that these
people found friendly and engaging.

Yes, there are technical faults with the images.  Yes, the gallery would
benefit from some editing. But compared to some of the stuff we
congratulate each other for on this list, these photos exhibit an
refreshing directness and willingness to get involved with people.

I may be just a naive Philistine who's ben seduced by the pretty colours.
That too is a possibility.  But everything I said is true, too :-)

Paul
http://www.chefurka.com

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] I commend to your attention)
Message from miss deuteronomy <bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net> (Re: [Leica] OT: best way to sell)