Subject: [Leica] Keeping XTOL
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 23:05:11 -0700

I just picked up some XTOL to try.  I was told at Glazer's in Seattle that
the 1-liter pack has been discontinued.  As Dr. McCoy might say, "Dammit,
Jim, I'm an amateur, not a mini-lab!"

Question:  How long will the stock solution keep reliably if kept in full
bottles?  I've got one "accordion" bottle to keep air out of the bottle in
use.  Should I be OK keeping the other 4 liters in full, well-washed out
green plastic soda pop bottles, stored in a dark cabinet?  Or would I be
safer buying some brown storage bottles or getting some heavy drinker's old
Seagram's brown glass bourbon containers?

I assume the figures in the Film Developer Cookbook are good starting
points, right?

Man, at the Secret LUG Dilution of 1:3, it's gonna take a long time to get
through 5 liters of the Elixer of Life!

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA
- --Peter