Subject: Re: [Leica] Keeping XTOL
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 06:29:10 -0700

Peter Klein wrote:

> I just picked up some XTOL to try.  I was told at Glazer's in Seattle that
> the 1-liter pack has been discontinued.  As Dr. McCoy might say, "Dammit,
> Jim, I'm an amateur, not a mini-lab!"
>
> Question:  How long will the stock solution keep reliably if kept in full
> bottles?  I've got one "accordion" bottle to keep air out of the bottle in
> use.  Should I be OK keeping the other 4 liters in full, well-washed out
> green plastic soda pop bottles, stored in a dark cabinet?  Or would I be
> safer buying some brown storage bottles or getting some heavy drinker's old
> Seagram's brown glass bourbon containers?
>
> I assume the figures in the Film Developer Cookbook are good starting
> points, right?
>
> Man, at the Secret LUG Dilution of 1:3, it's gonna take a long time to get
> through 5 liters of the Elixer of Life!
>
> --Peter Klein
> Seattle, WA
> --Peter
>
> --

Yes, Peter! It takes a long time for just about anyone to get through a 5 liter
packet when used as I do at 1:3 but the stuff just lasts that long in fully
stoppered bottles. The pop bottles sound like a good deal if you stopper then
right and you don't have them partially filled.
I got a case of 250 ml brown glass bottles with lids as that is what i need to
go 1:3 in a one liter metal developing tank and reels.
So they are one shots. I think of them like i think of Rodinal. Only lots more
of it.
I also have case of 250 ml brown glass bottles because i put some of it in there
for my 2 liter tanks at 1:3.

In an "accordion" bottle from what I hear on the Newsgroups forgetaboutit. You
cant trust it overnight.

Xtol lasts as long as Rodinal when kept fully stoppered in glass. A year.
I guess people say Rodinal lasts for years so maybe not.
But Xtol lasts a LOT longer than partially filled bottles of D76 or Acufine or
other developers I've used.
Not less.
Of course I've never tried this small bottle method with D76,

I usually pour out a five liter packet into 3 500 ml bottles and 6 250 ml bottles.

I'm running a bunch of film from my trip today.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/