Subject: [Leica] M viewfinder corners (or lack thereof)
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 14:56:43 -0700

This weekend I stopped in at Glazer's in Seattle.  They didn't have the
1.25 magnifier yet, so I checked out an M3 again to see what my M4-P might
look like with the magnifier.

I had always avoided trying an M3 because with my glasses and face shape, I
could never see the edges of the 50mm frame.  Now that I'm trying contact
lenses, it becomes a whole new ball game.  .91x is very nice when you can
see the whole frame.

Anyway, it reminded me of a question I've had for a long time.  The M3
viewfinder shows corners of the frame for all 50-90-135mm.  The M2
viewfinder and all of its successors do not--the 35, 50 and 90 frames (and
the 28 on the M4-P and M6) have four lines with the corners missing.

Does anyone know the design rationale behind this?   It doesn't matter much
most of the time, but occasionally I wish the corners were there.

- ---Peter Klein
Seattle, WA