Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarging lenses on screwmount cameras...
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 09:14:05 -0400

Jem-
I played around a bit last night with the Focoslides- the Leitz NY one- a
FULDY I think, and theOOGAN. I used a Focotar 40/2,8 from the Focomat, and
the ground glass seemed to indicate that it focuses at about one foot- .3
meter for the rest of the world!!
If used with the VALOY colum, and copy arm- of which I have, then it would
be ideal to copy at aboit a 1:1.5 to 1:2 ratio, it seems- rough estimate
only. Adding a DOORX extension ring, about 25mm, then the thing focuses at
about 10cm- real close!!!
I have the VISO I with M mount and bellows, and the LTM 50 mm lenses on the
front allow extremely close focusing, but seems more practical using the 135
Elmar head- Same with the VISO II and the Universal mount.

It seems, however, that since the enlarging lens is made for close lens to
'subject' distances, that it would make an idea close up or 'makro' lens.
The Focotar seems to make a beatiful image, sharp edge to edge, but then,
the images I looked at using the 50/3,5 Elmar, Summarit, and Summar looked
good as well! I suppose that a real test involving film and a close
examination under the microscope would be the definative test!
Of course, if I really want close-ups, I simply use the MIKAS and the Leitz
'scope and look at things at 30x- with the 1/3 reduction of the MIKAS, I can
get a good 10X image, no problem!!!
Unfortunately- that makes a fungus spot on a lens look like a jungle!!
Dan