Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarging lenses on screwmount cameras...
From: "Jem Kime" <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:35:32 +0100

Isaac,
this is the sort of stuff that keeps me amused (pointlessly) for hours.

At Photokina this year I stumbled across a firm that makes helical mounts
for enlarging lens, especially Companons, the name: Schneider! You can guess
the price.
Check out their macro range and see what they offer, of course you'll not
know where it's focused until some tests are done. I use focusing screens
which are like miniature ground glass screens from a view camera and were
made for close up devices for Leica type cameras. Cook and Perkins,
Periflex, Stewartry, several Japanese firms and I think Leica too, made
these. they simply screw onto the rear of the lens and show whats in focus
on the film plane.

Of course you could probably buy a cheap old r/f coupled 50mm lens (like a
Soviet Industar) and lose the optical cell. This way you'd stand a chance of
utilising the r/f focusing too. I found a cheap 50mm Elmar focusing mount on
ebay and have just passed that on to another Lugger here in the UK. I also
have one from a DR Summicron, anyone got a spare optical unit?

Either way there are two things to bear in mind.
One, if you're not a precision mechanic it's going to be hit and miss
getting things precisely accurate, so you may want to send your stuff off to
a good mechanic who can assemble the parts with some skill.
Two, although enlarging lenses can be excellent lenses, they're computed for
optimum results at close focusing range, something you're unlikely to
undertake with it in a normal focusing mount on a Leica.

But hey! It's fun all right...

Jem