Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica IIIa and Summar 50 f2 vs Leica IIIc and Elmar 50 f3.5
From: Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:17:37 -0700

Tony Salce wrote:
 > Hi, I'm relatively new to this list. I wanted to know what people's views
> were of the above two combinations and which would be the preferable
> purchase. I shoot mainly family photos and street photography. Your comments
> would be appreciated.

Hi Tony,

     The IIIa has more distance between the rangefinder and viewfinder
eyepieces than the IIIc.  Otherwise, not much different from operational
point of view.

    I think all of the Summars were uncoated glass; the Elmars were both
coated and uncoated.  The coated lens will have a different effective
contrast, most pronounced in backlighted scenes, but I see them as diffenent
effective tools.  The Summar I had was great at portrature and street scenes.

    The Elmar is much smaller, allowing the Leica to be comfortable in a
pocket; with the Summar, a little less so.

						Cheers,

								Rich Lahrson
								tripspud@wenet.net

Replies: Reply from "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica IIIa and Summar 50 f2 vs Leica IIIc and Elmar 50 f3.5)