Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M5and a M6, getting along well together
From: MicroGrid@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:24:11 EDT

I agonized (on this group) over my second meter body purchase for months.
I've had and loved my M5 for years. I used this for transp, and an M4 for
B&W. I wanted another meter body, and an M5 seemed natural. Tom A's
Rapidwinder, and my daughter's activities, sports and performing arts,
provoked my consideration of an M6. I talked with that M5 lover, Sherry and
she said most of the same things you did Michael. Only stonger. Sherry warned
me that an M5 and an M6 are not very compatible.
I bought a used M6 a couple of months ago, because I figured I could always
sell it at minimal loss if I didn't like it. I love the 6 and the winder is
great as well.

I just returned from our vacation to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and
Washington, DC. The 5 was always loaded with high speed transparency film,
the 6 with E100X. I was pleasantly surprised to find this worked well. The
M5's much smaller meter angle and its sensitivity is suited for contrasty
indoor light, I was at first concerned about the two shutter speed dials
incompatibility, My 6 is a TTL. I was able to switch back and forth with
minimal confusion. The different shape of the 5, and the differences in low
light interior shooting from exterior subjects helped set me up for the
different situation. Because I was always short of light I was almost always
wide open, and adjusting the speed dial. This helped too. (Prompts a question
though, where are the intermediate speeds on the M series? Anywhere but
between 1/30 and 1/60?) I found the 5's release is soft enough for me, so I
took the softie off.

Soo. My first impressions are favorable on the compatibility of these two
cameras for quick shooting. Shot about 20 rolls, am processing now, will post
some soon.

Bruce Bowman
Killingworth CT