Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital M body
From: Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 11:06:54 -0700

Austin Franklin wrote:
> I see the issue more the limited marketplace, and major expense for such a
> device.  Cost to even develop one unit would be on the order of $500k+, and
> then an additional $500k to make it into a production unit.  At $2000/each,
> with a material cost of around $500 (plus overhead), you would have to sell
> near 1000 units to just break even.

Hi Austin,

     Canon, Nikon and Sinar already have digital camera bodies and/or backs,
that use their lenses and accessories.

     Leitz has abandoned the professional market with lack of services.  It's
doubtful any serious attempts will be made in that direction.  Leitz will
simply continue with their special editions, as these are profitable.

					Cheers,

						      Rich Lahrson
						      tripspud@wenet.net