Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital M body
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 13:31:18 -0400

> the unfortunate fact that even if a CCD
> chip of the correct size were available at a reasonable price, it
> wouldn't fit in the film gate of most cameras.  First off, it is thicker
> than film.  Second, there are all sorts of wires coming off the chip on
> all sides.  This makes it bigger than the film gate.

Though that statement is 'mostly' correct.  It, in my opinion, it is not
correct for the M6.  The M6 is technically an excellent candidate for a
digital back.  Since the M has a (somewhat easily) removable back, the back
can easily be replaced by a thicker unit that has the CCD and associated
electronics.  The area around the film opening is quite generous, and the
ASA contacts are right there.  The batteries can be placed in the area that
the film canister goes in.  If you needed more room, a new baseplate can be
used (like the RapidWinder does) for additional room.

I see the issue more the limited marketplace, and major expense for such a
device.  Cost to even develop one unit would be on the order of $500k+, and
then an additional $500k to make it into a production unit.  At $2000/each,
with a material cost of around $500 (plus overhead), you would have to sell
near 1000 units to just break even.  Not very lucrative in my opinion.

Replies: Reply from Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net> (Re: [Leica] Digital M body)