Subject: [Leica] Re: Benbo Tripods
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 14:16:31 -0700

The problem with tripods is that the vibration "moment arm" is the post
that the tripod head/camera is mounted on. Most folks never raise the
center post so that the head and platform is resting securely on the
platform atop the legs. The only residual vibration you will get is from
the legs themselves. And if you use a carbon fiber tripod, these vibrations
are dampened out very quickly. Basically the best possible solution.

A Benbo tripod always has the camera sitting "out on a limb" so to speak.
The "center post" is always extended, the camera is hanging out there, and
vibrations are inherent. There is no way of dampening them. This will not
cause a problem with an M camera, Hasselblad C camera (using MLU), or even
a 4x5 with a leaf shutter. But it sure raises hell with SLR camera
exposures, especially if they do not have MLU. This is one reason that
Benbo tripods are not popular with the "pro" nature photo folks. Except
for, of course, Heather Angel. But she uses a Hasselblad with C lenses and
MLU 99% of the time.

Jim

Replies: Reply from cec@vbe.com (Re: [Leica] Re: Benbo Tripods)
Message from Dennis Painter <dpainter@bigfoot.com> (Re: [Leica] leica charity for students)