Subject: [Leica] leica charity for students
From: Liam Maloney <kine_scope@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 17:11:16 -0700 (PDT)

This is my first posting; my name is Liam and I'm a
"college student" studying cinematography here in
beautiful Montreal.  I'm disappointed by the apparent
level of snobbery that seems to exist among Leica
users.  Not everyone can go out and drop 2-3K on a
camera!  I've been taking photos for years using
pretty much whatever I could get my hands on.
Recently I was fortunate enough to inherit a
brassed-up Leica III with a less-than-perfect Summar -
kinda like Rich Lahrson's first pro kit.  Hey Rich -
my bathroom has a Zenit portable enlarger set up on
the toilet seat.  I got the enlarger in exchange for a
pitcher of beer!  My monthly paychecks mostly go
towards buying film, chemicals and noodles.  So far
most of my paper has been almost free - I just get the
expired stuff from picky friends.  Now admittedly, I
am not using the best gear, but I'm actually quite
happy with the results so far.  And as a relative
amateur, I won't need much more than what I've got for
a while.  That doesn't mean I don't WANT an M6 TTL
with the 35/2 ASPH - it would be nice!  I'm sure I'll
be a more active Leicaphile when my ship comes in.
This leads me to Bob M's suggestion.  A photo contest
would be a neat way to win a new camera - and probably
the only way any D.I.Y. student will be able to get
his/her hands on an M!  Keep me posted.  Oh, and I
welcome private (but not overly intimate) e-mail from
other people involved in motion pictures.

Cheers,

Liam

PS Got any tips on where I can get a really really
cheap 35mm in LTM?  Preferably a summaron?