Subject: Re: [Leica] Forsale and WTB on the LUG
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 10:00:17 EST

In a message dated 12/25/99 3:57:10 PM, bcaldwell51@hotmail.com writes:

<< I have a very hard time believing that For Sale posts on a Wednesday are
going to collapse the list and wreck havoc upon the system . . . .What
difference does it make?

The difference is that it robs this list of one thing that gives it so much
character. It's a very subtle and yet sophisticated thing, this "For sale
Fridays" tradition (not a rule, I now understand). It's like the shutter on a
Leica M camera. It doesn't HAVE to be the way it is but we sure appreciate
the precision of it. You COULD take it away and replace it with some modern
electronic wonder but then, it wouldn't quite be a Leica now would it? It's
the same way with the For Sale Fridays tradition on this list. It is one
small thing that sets the list apart from others. Again, you COULD do away
with it but what would you be giving up in exchange for this "improvement." I
guess ultimately the bottom line is this: Since it's not technically a rule
you don't have to follow it. You COULD post your all-so-important for sale
notices on Monday (and Tuesday and Wednesday . . . ) You could do that but
don't be surprised if some of us begin thinking of you as sort of a Konica
participant in a field of Leicas . . . .

Bob (it's a Leica thing) McEowen