Subject: [Leica] LTM Zeiss TeleTessar 1:6.3 f 18cm
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 22:55:49 -0700

Just reviewed an interesting local Leica Thread Mount collection this
evening, including one of the most unusual screw mount lenses I have seen,
the above Jena lens in a very short mount, which was perhaps intended for
the Visoflex. Also on the lens barrel was the German, "Gilt fuer
Zwischenring" (made for extension ring, I think), and it had an unusual
focus in which the sharply angled threads were visible as the lens rotated
out. The serial number was 808128. Anyone ever seen this one?

The gear belonged to a family whose father died about two years ago in his
80's. It include a IIIf (red dial, self-timer), 2 IIIc's and a very early
(sn 99nnn) Model II in chrome, probably from around 1932.

A real highlight of the collection for me was getting to see and handle an
old Hektor 125mm f/2.5, complete with its unique lens hood (but no cap).
Unfortunately, fungus was very evident on inside lens surfaces. The
machining, style, and heft of the lens was similar to my own Summicron
90mm/f2 LTM SOOZI, especially with the "coffee cup" style lens hood that
stores backwards to cover most of the lens.  There was also a very pretty
Telyt 200/4.5.

I'm probably 90 percent user and only about 10 percent collector. But it was
a great experience to see the old Leica equipment, kept so carefully over
the years (but unfortunately in high humidity North Coast California, hence
the fungus). I know the son showing it to me appreciated someone who really
appreciated his father's gear.

Regards,
Gary Todoroff