Subject: [Leica] Gyro
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:56:07 -0800

DonjR43198@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone have direct experience with the gyro devices that are supposed to
> steady the camera?  If so, a post in regard to their effectiveness would be
> most appreciated.

I own two KS-4s and used them for aerial and boating work and also for
walking flash/blurr stuff.  They work and I can do high speed boating
stuff on water down to 1/60th with consistent sharpness of object I am
panning along side.  For aerials, have shot down to 1/125th of moving
boats, cars and still get sharpness and motion blurr effect.  For non
motion blurr effect, at higher shutter speeds, the gyro aids framing and
focusing.

For closeups, it would work, but they do make noise, are heavy (battery
and gyro), and with a setup costing about $2500, not for occasional use.

I have done very low light level pix with it with good results down to
1/2 second.

Drop the gyro and the only repair is a complete rebuilt for $400+.

Sure makes even the Gitzo Mountaneer tripod suddenly sound cheap, heh?

donal

- --
Donal Philby
San Diego