Subject: [Leica] The value of amateurs
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 20:11:53 -0800

Michael D. Turner wrote:.

> Eric, if you consider the entire history of Big Yellow's marketing strategies, you
> will find that professional photography has _always_ been second priority for
> Kodak. Show me evidence otherwise, I'd be interested in seeing it!

E200, the CN film, the E100s, EPN, EPP all are primarily bought by pros,
according to local Kodak rep.  I once questioned Kodak's commitment to
pros with him (he is a shooter, though mostly Tri-X and Leica Ms, so he
can't be all bad--infact he has an exhibition in SF right now of
documentary work), and he said if it wasn't for pros, there wouldn't be
an E200.

I am in the middle of a catalogue project done with VS.  I do love
Velvia for color and sharpness, but working with the separator on this
job has shown me the value of the lower contrast film with knock out
rich colors.  This is a film, not for the slide projector, but for the
printing press==something amateurs don't use much.

Yes, Kodak is biased toward amateurs.  So is Fuji.  That is where the
large dollars are.  Period.

I remember reading a comment by Marty Forscher, famous NY camera
repair/adapt genius, who said, "photographers are about the only
professionals using tools primarily designed for amateurs."

Indeed, if it wasn't for amateurs, we wouldn't have Leica Ms or Rs.
Think about that.

donal
- --
Donal Philby