Subject: Re: [Leica] Winding Problem
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 21:30:37 EDT

leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
cc: ferrisgam@worldnet.att.net
re:[Leica] Winding Problem

Bill,
 It sounds like your Rapidwinder was not fully on the camera. Remember to
always check with either the top advance lever or the Rapidwinder’s lever that
the two teeth of the drive are engaged, before you lock the winder on the
camera. If the Rapidwinder is not fully engaged, it can still turn the
driveshaft of the camera, but can “slip” at the last couple of degrees of
turn. The shutter is then fully cocked and by all indications it is ready to
shoot even though the film hasn’t been fully advanced. Try another film and
check that it advances properly (even to the extent that you double check with
the top advance to take up any slippage in the drive). If it persists, I will
send you another drive (it is easy to install) or, if you want to, send me the
Rapidwinder and I will service it for you. Do you know how old the winder is?.
The Rapidwinder has been in production for 11 years and it is possible to have
enough wear on one to affect the function. If you have a second body to try it
on, do that. Sometimes it is a camera related problem that causes the film to
overlap, the sprocket gear getting worn or the filmadvance gear is in need to
be serviced.
 Let me know how your trial works out and if you e-mail me your phone number
on private e-mail I can probably “walk “ you through a checklist of function
and cure.
All the best,
Tom A