To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica R 90mm: Elmarit or Summicron?
From: Fred Ward <fward@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 1996 07:50:00 -0500

Eric,

Iıd like to agree with your comments about the 90mm Summicron. Starting
in the early 60s that lens was as finely made as any lens sold. It was
(and is) a winner and seemed good at all apertures. It was a mainstay
all the time I used M Leicas on assignments.

Now I more often carry the black 90mm Elmarit, the one made in Canada.
When I bought the CL and then added a CLE (a much more useful and
reliable camera I find) the large and heavy Summicron made no sense. So
I used (and use) the smaller Elmarit on the smaller cameras.

I will be photographing my daughterıs theater group in LA in two weeks
(during a performance) and will likely make most use of the CLE for its
metering and quiet operation. The light will change constantly and it
will be nice not to have to worry too much about it. I may need the
Summicron for this one.

(btw, the reason for not using the Canon T-90s and some long lenses is
the motor-wind noise and the louder mirror/shutter combination.)

Fred Ward

Replies: Reply from Fred Ward <fward@erols.com> (Re: strange spacing suddenly)