To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica R 90mm: Elmarit or Summicron?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 23:24:19 -0700

At 12:48 PM 6/7/96 -0500, you wrote:

>is tempting, but my impression is that the Elmarit is generally regarded as
>a "better" lens.  Is that really the consensus?  I'll have to think about
>the advantage to me of an extra f-stop and how much I care about the weight
>difference (and the $ difference).  In the mean time, does anyone have any
>advice or comments on these lenses?   I would appreciate any information,
>impressions, general ranting . . . anything.

Well, from what I've seen the 90 Elmarit in the latest version, I might
emphaisze, is a better lens than the Summicron. Espeically in the closeup
range with Elpros or extension rings, but at infinity too. It is a very
special lens.

But, I've used the 90 Summicron for years, (not the latest version) and I
never, repeat, never hesitated to use it wide open. It was outstanding even
at that aperture, right out to the edges. And it's tough as nails. I can't
tell you how many times I dropped it and mashed filters on the front. Never
had to send it in for repairs. I'm sure I was lucky, but it's also one
professional quality lens. It is also butter smooth after a few years use. A
real pleasure to use.

Either way you go, you will like the lenses. So pick it on the value of the
aperture, unless you know for sure you don't need it. If you go for the
elmarit, make sure you get the latest version, that is optically the same as
the M version.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier

Replies: Reply from Fred Ward <fward@erols.com> (Re: Leica R 90mm: Elmarit or Summicron?)