To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica longevity, Leica's future
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 07:29:09 -0800

Nick Jackson wrote:

> the heart is surely tempted - ultimately I am curious to know how close a screw camera with a late
> screw Summicron would be to current M6 performance in terms of final image quality.  If anyone
> was able to offer opinions it would be interesting to know how far Leitz/Leica has come in 70
> years and how far off the mark it was at the outset?

The fact that it has a very accurate meter means a lot for me.
Ultimately, image quality is tied to good exposure. I am very happy with
the way it works. And that is true in black and white and especially
color. The fact that its viewfinder is better than screw mount cameras
is significant for ease of use as well. I guess there is one or two
screw mount cameras that have big viewfinders too, but you can't buy new
ones.

If you can afford it, the M6 is worth every penny. And they seem to keep
getting better the longer they are made. I haven't heard of any problems
with the latest runs. Has anyone else? (Other than price! <G>)
--
Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR

Message from Nick Jackson <jacks@pop.jaring.my> (Re: Leica longevity, Leica's future)