To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica longevity, Leica's future
From: Nick Jackson <jacks@pop.jaring.my>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 10:35:14 +0800

> I've just got some slides back taken with two old Leitz lenses, one made
> in 1956, the other in 1933. Both are still working perfectly. It's a
> strange feeling using a lens that is 14 years older than I am. Mind you,
> it looks its age. I'd like to think I don't ;->.

 I'm sure(?) there are still lots of people out there still using the screw Leicas from around the war
which are a testimony to Leica's longevity.

I now carry a 1941 IIIc almost everywhere I go because it is so compact and takes beautiful
pictures on a 50mm  Elmar lens (1946 I think, haven't checked recently). It replaced an OM1
which I still have and enjoy, but the ability to slip the Leica into my pocket means it gets to places
by chance that the OM1 never would see.  Generally  I am taking B&W so the shortcomings of
the uncoated Elmar are less apparent, but it still takes a remarkably sharp and bright
transparency for a 50 year old lens.  My only  concession to its age is a new Gossenl lightmeter I
bought recently to replace an aged and somewhat inaccurate Weston.

I read all the discussion of M6's etc with great fascination and curiosity.  The wallet says no but
the heart is surely tempted - ultimately I am curious to know how close a screw camera with a late
screw Summicron would be to current M6 performance in terms of final image quality.  If anyone
was able to offer opinions it would be interesting to know how far Leitz/Leica has come in 70
years and how far off the mark it was at the outset?

Nick Jackson
Kuala Lumpur

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net> (Re: Leica longevity, Leica's future)