To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Leica longevity, Leica's future
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 23:19:16 +0000

In message <199603282001.PAA27677@gold.interlog.com>, Michael Reichmann
<michaelr@interlog.com> writes
>Though I believe that Leica has a bright future, if I had to choose which
>will be around in 20 years, Leica or Nikon, guess which I'd choose.
>
>Michael

I've just got some slides back taken with two old Leitz lenses, one made
in 1956, the other in 1933. Both are still working perfectly. It's a
strange feeling using a lens that is 14 years older than I am. Mind you,
it looks its age. I'd like to think I don't ;->.

I expect both of these two companies will still be around in 20 years,
but I was very interested to read about Leica being 25% up last year,
profit, turnover, I can't remember which, but that is the right
direction to go anyway. I find that most encouraging; it suggests that
in these days of electronic cameras, Leica is doing very well indeed.

And going on Leica's durability and serviceability, I can safely assume
my present (modern) Leicas will still be working in 40 years time, when
I will be 86. That _is_ a good feeling. I wonder if _I_ will still be
functioning then.
--
joe b.

Replies: Reply from Nick Jackson <jacks@pop.jaring.my> (Re: Leica longevity, Leica's future)